Thursday, April 28, 2011

Hickory Dickory Clock Book

To introduce the concept of telling time to my son, I decided to use the beloved children’s nursery rhyme Hickory Dickory Dock. I created three worksheets with a total of 12 handless clocks and each of the verses from the nursery rhyme on DLTK’s Growing Together website. Thanks to a little design finesse, I even made a cover page.

We started out the afternoon’s activity by reading Trudy Harris’ book “The Clock Struck One: A Time-Telling Tale.” In the book, I pointed out the clocks on several pages and explained that the long hand of the clock points to 12 and the short hand points to the hour.

When we were done reading, my son set about on the task of making his own book using the worksheets I’d created and cut apart. He drew the hands on the clock to match the time in each verse. (I wrote these out instead of using the numeral.) Then he put them in order. I stapled the pages together, he colored the cover, and voila! He had made his very own Hickory Dickory Dock book. Before he left the table, we read the book cover to cover.

Now, if I could just get that darn tune out of my head. (sigh)

If you want these worksheets and the cover page, download a four-page PDF here. I’m happy to share!

2 comments:

  1. Hey, I love this exercise for my little princess.I tried clicking on the link for downloading the activity sheet but it does not open. Will it be possible to re-activate the link or am I missing something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The PDF is on Google Drive, so you might want to log in to a google account before clicking the link. If you continue to have problems, email me at deceptivelyeducational@gmail.com and I'll reply with the file attached.

      Delete